Environmentally Friendly PrintFriendly Saves TreesDifficulty level: Easy to Intermediate
Help your blog or website visitors save paper and ink when printing things from your blog or website by installing a free PrintFriendly Widget. Usually web pages do not look the same on printed and will sometimes take reams more paper as well. If you are uncomfortable with fiddling with html code, you might like to simply add a link to the PrintFriendly site so readers can input your page url themselves. Here are the details from their site:
PrintFriendly cleans and formats web pages for perfect print experience. PrintFriendly removes Ads, Navigation and web page junk, so you save paper and ink when you print. It's free and easy to use. Perfect to use at home, the office, or whenever you need to print a web page.
- Print Preview: Optimizes and displays content for print.
- Edit Before Printing: Remove images, text, and print only what you want.
- Print or Save as PDF: Print now, or save for later as a PDF.
How to Use
- New Users Copy and Paste a URL at http://PrintFriendly.com (Easy)
- Regular Users: Add to your browser for 1 click print friendly pages. (Easy)
- Developers and Bloggers Add the print friendly button to your website or blog. (Intermediate)
Website – EasyCopy and paste the code onto the pages you would like people to be able to print. Remember to save a copy of your code before attempting to fiddle with it, just in case the power goes out in the middle of your save.
WordPress-MediumRequires Downloading plug-in, understanding how to unzip a plugin . Check out the great tips here.
Blogger- IntermediateRequires fiddling with the html Code by expanding the widget box
The instructions for adding PrintFriendly to a Blogger blog, are quite straight forward, however, one important step was left out:
Be sure to save your template before fiddling with the code!
In addition : The CSS coding for right aligning the widget seems to be referencing the wordpress plugin code.
Well I’m off to save some trees by installing the PrintFriendly widget on all my blogs and sites! Let me know how things go for you!